On the west side of Mt. Athos and at an altitude of 30 meters above sea level, between the monasteries of Xenophon and Zografou we find the monastery of Dochiariou. Tradition mentions that this holy monastery was founded by monk Euthymius, student of Blessed Athanasius Athonite. Euthymius after becoming a monk and manciple at Lavra founded this new monastery on the southwestern side of Athos, a monastery which took its name from its founder deaconship. The monastery is cited in documents from Mt. Athos in early 11th century, while its course resembles that of other monasteries. After a period of flourishing, during the 11th and 12th centuries, it will suffer from pirate raids and the pogroms by the Latin invaders and those in favor of the Unification of Churches. This period of decline will be interrupted in middle 16th century, when Father George from Adrianople became a monk in this almost deserted monastery and devoted his life to its restoration. He was assisted in this great project by prince of Moldova-Wallachia Alexander and his wide Roxandra, who donated considerable amounts of money and estates, thus lending a new lease of life to the monastery. Father George was also assisted by the Metropolite of Moldova Theofanis, who, at the end of his life, resigned from office and lived there as an anchorite. The Catholicon of the monastery is dedicated to Archangels Michael and Gabriel. Amongst the ten chapels in the monastery’s courtyard prominent is the chapel of Our Lady Gorgoipekoos with the homonymous miracle working icon, one of the most celebrated icons in all Mt. Athos. Due to the courtyard’s limited space, the Catholicon of the monastery is elevated and a work dating back to the 16th century. It was illustrated in 1568 by Cretan painter Tzortzis but was repainted in 1855, thus depriving us of an important part of its original frescoes.